You Called?

How do you think Samuel felt when God called him for the first time? Actually, it took Samuel a few times to realize just who was calling him. At first, he assumed it was Eli the priest who was calling out to him in the night. Samuel went running each time he heard the call to see what Eli wanted but Eli told Samuel, “I didn’t call you my son.”

1 Samuel 3:7-10 (NLT)

7 Samuel did not yet know the Lord because he had never had a message from the Lord before. 8 So the Lord called a third time, and once more Samuel got up and went to Eli. “Here I am. Did you call me?” Then Eli realized it was the Lord who was calling the boy. 9 So he said to Samuel, “Go and lie down again, and if someone calls again, say, ‘Speak, Lord your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went back to bed. 10 And the Lord came and called as before, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel replied, “Speak, your servant is listening.”

How do you think you would feel if you realized it was the Lord calling to you in the night? Would you be so excited it would be near impossible to go back to sleep or would you be filled with fear thinking, what is He going to ask of me? I probably would be playing twenty questions with myself, what if this or what if that, what if, what if…?

To be honest I don’t exactly remember when I heard the Lord call to me the first time but there is a time I remember the message like I heard it yesterday. I had lost my job and I had been praying for months for His direction in my life. I waited and waited, I heard nothing. My Pastor would ask me anything yet Deb? I’d say not yet. Like I said, this went on for months then one night I had this dream and I was told to go back to school. I woke up and began searching the internet for colleges I could attend. I punched in my information and no word of a lie I received a phone call approximately two hours later to set up an appointment to meet with the admissions office. Two weeks later I was registered and my first classes started in one month’s time.

I was thrilled and scared all at once. It was exciting that God gave me such a clear path to take and scary at the same time. Here I was 44 years old and going back to school, really? Woe, wait just a minute! What am I doing? Then I heard God whisper, “This is where I need you to be right now!” I said, “Okay, God.” God is so amazing because He always knows what we need just when we need it. I was able to witness to so many people and my soul was blessed because of it.

How and what has God called you to do?

Advertisements

About debbestillandlisten

Worshipper and follower of Jesus Christ. God has given this Christian the privilege of loving and caring for my amazing son. I absolutely love to worship our Lord and Savior and to be in His presence; there is nothing better!
This entry was posted in Devotional. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to You Called?

1. Tom Raines says:

Awesome testimony, thank you Debby! Recently I realized He is moving me from being amazed to being in awe. What He has given you to share is inspiring!

2. I am so blessed that the first person you bumped into in the blogosphere was Tom Deb! He is a man after God’s heart. I regularly read his devotionals and he has been a great blessing to me. I hope you don’t mind but I am going to introduce you to the rest of my blogging friends today.

3. Reblogged this on Lillie-Put and commented:
    Deb is new to the blogosphere folks. Stop on by and read her thoughts!

4. Our story is too long to share in a comment. It is sufficient to say that since the Lord called us, 20 years ago in a profoundly powerful way, we have been attempting to live as Followers in all things, so that everything we do, every day, is in response to His call. Not easy, not always successful, but worth giving our lives to.

Wonderful testimony. Are you in school right now? I hope you’ll tell us more in another post.

5. Ben Nelson says:

Hi Deb – God bless this new endeavor! As you are true to the Word, He will be true to you!.
    and thanks Pastor J for the heads up.

6. gapark says:

I’ve been called many times to do various things, and each time, although I thought I wasn’t “the best” for the job, it was the best thing for me. My current call is to teach teenagers the gospel every morning before they head off to school. What a responsibility! I pray every morning that the Spirit will teach them, and as long as I remain humble and listen, He does!
    BTW, I used to live in Fitchburg, MA–grew up there! Now I am 2,000 miles away from my old stomping grounds, but I love how we can reach out across miles to connect. Gail @ seezooeyrun.wordpress.com

7. I’m excited for you Debs, you are a true example of putting all your trust in the Lord. Your obedience inspires me to be more obedient in my walk with the Lord. I am truly blessed to have you as my twin and life-long best friend!!!!!

8. Tania Burke says:

Hi, glad I fell appon your blog. Looking forward to reading more. Tania

9. Brenda J says:

Love this! Well done Deb! Keep listening and going where He leads…Our great God will never steer us wrong…even if sometimes it feels ODD! 🙂 God is just cool that way!